Quotes to Live By

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
(John Quincy Adams)

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. (Aristotle)

Every artist was first an amateur. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. (Thomas Jefferson)

It takes ten years to build up a reputation, but only five minutes to ruin one. (Anonymous)

Monday, July 2, 2012

One Choice Can Change History

Hidden within the battle of Jericho is the story of Rahab, a beautiful and brave young Canaanite woman who aided the Israelites by hanging a piece of scarlet cord from a window. This act of faith changed her life by placing her in the genealogy of Christ.
Rahab is the beautiful youngest daughter of a Canaanite farmer, taken to Jericho for the pagan New Year celebration so that her father can find her a wealthy spouse. Sala is the only son of an Israelite merchant, in Jericho as a spy for Joshua’s army. Their love would have been destined for heartache, were it not ordained by God.

When I read this book to its entirety, it absolutely blew my mind. I have always heard this Bible story over and over again, but it had never been as real as when I read this book. Rahab was a believer in Baal all her life, until Sala introduced the one true God to her and Rahab believed without hesitation.

When I read about her choices through the book, my heart was stirred and inspired. Even though some of the book's content is fiction, Rahad's choices to do the right thing by Yahweh won my respect. I admit that  through Biblical-fiction, the Bible seems more real to me than reading the real story in the Bible.

I got this book free from: Book Sneeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment