Quotes to Live By

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
(John Quincy Adams)

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. (Aristotle)

Every artist was first an amateur. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. (Thomas Jefferson)

It takes ten years to build up a reputation, but only five minutes to ruin one. (Anonymous)

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Prized

As a blogger and an educator, I always try to look for books that pertain to the people I teach. I also like reading books from time to time that spark my interest. I mean, why else would I read books if not in my interest? When I saw this book, I did what most people do: judge the book by the cover. Since I love the color pink, my eyes are naturally d
drawn to the cover.

I read the summary and thought, "oh, this will fit in when I teach middle school." I quickly applied to get this book. When I got it in the mail, I thought, "this is it! I'm going to love this book". I was quickly proven wrong. I only got to the end of the first chapter. The author speaks from her point of view, but she makes it like her life story.

Don't get me wrong, some people's life story is interesting, but not hers. It seems like a mediocre story to me and it preaches about the girls in their middle school age. I went through middle school too, but I didn't come across any of those problems.

I thought I was reading it all wrong and looked it up on Amazon to see if anyone else got my point of view. There were all sorts of glowing reports about this book. I was surprised because I couldn't find any substance in it. Of course, I am also critical about people who say they love God because I went to a school that had lots of hypocrites in it. They basically preached about God's Word and how much they loved God, but there was no fruit and no actions on their part.

So basically, I found this book to be somewhat like that. I couldn't even push myself to read to the 2nd chapter. So I don't know if I would recommend this book to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment