Quotes to Live By

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
(John Quincy Adams)

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. (Aristotle)

Every artist was first an amateur. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. (Thomas Jefferson)

It takes ten years to build up a reputation, but only five minutes to ruin one. (Anonymous)

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Shades of Mercy

Shades of Mercy resounded with me. As a Chinese-American, I felt the racism and the prejudices of being different as a child. I don't remember as clearly, but in second grade, the teacher turned the whole class against me. She couldn't stand that I was different from her. She treated me like an outsider, and so did the whole class.

I spend the whole year trying to fend off the insults in school and ended up being an outcast. Even when I was on the bus, there was no relief. There was a bully on the bus that sat behind me and made my life miserable. My mom says that every day as I got home from school, I would cry and I came to hate white women.

When I read that Mick and the Masileet tribe was under the same prejudices, I just felt for them. In some parts of the country, like South Carolina, there are still prejudices against people with different skin colors other than the superior white skin.

While I grew out of my hatred and bitterness, I hope to create a safe environment in my own classroom in that no one would look at color, but treat each other with respect.

I liked how Mercy and her family treated the Masileets with respect and dignity, even though no one else thought to. They showed everyone mercy and compassion and that's how God's glory can shine through us.

River North, the publisher has given me 3 extra copies of this book. Message me if you're interested in reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment